Vadodara, also known as Baroda, is a vibrant city located in Gujarat, India. This city has a rich history and culture, which makes it one of the must-visit tourist destinations in India. Vadodara has plenty to offer to its visitors, right from stunning palaces, temples, museums, and gardens. In this comprehensive travel guide, we have listed the top 20 must-visit attractions in Vadodara that you should not miss on your next trip.
Top 20 Must-Visit Attractions in Vadodara
- Laxmi Vilas Palace
- Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery
- Sayaji Baug
- Pavagadh Hill
- Nyaya Mandir
- EME Temple
- Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park
- Sursagar Lake
- Nazarbaug Palace
- Maharaja Fatesingh Museum
- Khanderao Market
- Kirti Mandir
- Kirti Stambh
- Baroda Central Mall
- BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
- ISKCON Baroda
- EME Temple
- Makarpura Palace
- Sursagar Lake Fountain
Expanding Each of the Recommended Attractions and Places
Laxmi Vilas Palace
Laxmi Vilas Palace is one of the most majestic and breathtaking palaces in India. It was built during the late 19th century by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III and is still the residence of the royal family of Vadodara. This palace has beautiful Victorian interiors and houses a museum that showcases various artifacts, paintings, weaponry, and sculptures.
Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery
Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery is located within the Laxmi Vilas Palace campus and is considered to be one of the oldest museums in India. It houses a vast collection of artifacts, sculptures, paintings, and manuscripts that belong to various periods of Indian history.
Sayaji Baug, also known as Kamati Baug, is a vast garden spread across 45 hectares of land. It has a zoo, a toy train, an aquarium, and a planetarium. The garden also has several statues and fountains that add to its beauty.
Pavagadh Hill is a sacred hill located about 50 km from Vadodara. It is a popular pilgrimage site and is home to the famous Kalika Mata Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Nyaya Mandir is a unique building located in Darbar Hall Road. It is built like a Greek temple and has a statue of Lady Justice at the top.
EME Temple is a unique temple made of aluminum and glass. It is dedicated to Lord Dakshinamurti, a form of Lord Shiva.
Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park
Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is located about 50 km from Vadodara. It was built in the 15th century and has several forts, temples, and stepwells.
Sursagar Lake is a beautiful artificial lake that was built during the 18th century. It has several fountains that add to its beauty.
Nazarbaug Palace was built during the 19th century and is now used for government offices. It has beautiful architecture and houses a museum that showcases various royal artifacts.
Maharaja Fatesingh Museum
Maharaja Fatesingh Museum is located within the Laxmi Vilas Palace campus and houses various collections of art, textiles, and weaponry.
Khanderao Market is a popular market in Vadodara that sells everything from fruits, vegetables, and spices to clothes, jewelry, and furniture.
Kirti Mandir is a famous memorial dedicated to the Gaekwad dynasty. It houses the tombs of various members of the royal family of Vadodara.
Kirti Stambh is a famous tower located in the heart of Vadodara. It was built in the 16th century and has carvings of various Jain idols.
Kabirvad is a beautiful and peaceful island located on the Narmada River. It is home to a famous banyan tree that is said to be more than 300 years old.
Baroda Central Mall
Baroda Central is a popular shopping mall located in the heart of Vadodara. It has several shops selling clothes, accessories, and electronics.
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir is a beautiful temple dedicated to Lord Swaminarayan. It has stunning architecture and intricate carvings.
ISKCON Baroda is a famous temple dedicated to Lord Krishna. It has stunning architecture and beautiful idols of Lord Krishna and Radha.
Makarpura Palace is a beautiful palace located in Vadodara. It is now used as a government building and is not open to the public.
Sursagar Lake Fountain
Sursagar Lake Fountain is a stunning fountain located in the Sursagar Lake. It has a unique design and adds to the beauty of the lake.
How to Reach There and Things to Be Taken Care
- The nearest airport is Vadodara Airport, which is well-connected to major cities in India.
- Vadodara has a well-connected railway station and is well-connected to major cities in India.
- Buses and taxis are readily available in Vadodara for local transportation.
- Wear appropriate clothes when visiting temples and other religious sites.
- Respect the local culture and customs.
- Carry mosquito repellent, especially during the monsoon season.
- Carefully check the food and water quality before consuming it. Avoid consuming street food.
Where to Stay and Food Specialities Nearby
- Some of the popular hotels in Vadodara are the Taj Gateway Hotel, Hotel Sayaji, and Grand Mercure Vadodara Surya Palace.
- Vadodara is famous for its street food, including pav bhaji, vada pav, and chaat.
- Some of the popular restaurants in Vadodara are Barbeque Nation, Kalyan Rooftop and Indoor Restaurant, and Spice Valley.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Vadodara is between October and March when the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities.
Language and Communication Tips
- The official language in Vadodara is Gujarati, but Hindi and English are also widely spoken.
- Learn some basic phrases in Gujarati to communicate with the locals.
- Carry a phrasebook or a translation app to help you communicate with the locals.
Cultural Customs and Etiquette Guidance
- Always remove your shoes before entering a temple or someone’s home.
- Ask for permission before taking photographs of people or religious sites.
- Avoid touching people’s heads as it is considered disrespectful.
- Be respectful to the culture and customs of the locals.
Must-Visit Destinations and Attractions Nearby
- Statue of Unity
- Somnath Temple
- Dwarkadhish Temple
- Chowmahalla Palace
- Jama Masjid, Ahmedabad
Food and Dining Recommendations
- Pav bhaji
- Vada pav
- Dhokla and Khandvi
- Fafda and Jalebi
Safety Precautions and Emergency Measures
- Avoid traveling alone at night.
- Keep your belongings safe and be aware of pickpockets.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Be aware of the emergency numbers in case of any emergency.
Experiences Summary of Other Traveler Based on Public Review of the Places
Vadodara has received positive reviews from travelers worldwide. Visitors have appreciated the city’s rich heritage, stunning architecture, and warm hospitality. Laxmi Vilas Palace and Sayaji Baug have been favorite destinations among travelers. The city’s street food is another highlight that has received rave reviews for its delicious taste and affordability.
List of Items as Packing and Travel Essentials
- Comfortable clothes and footwear
- Umbrella or raincoat, especially during the monsoon season
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Mosquito repellent
- Camera and charger
- Power bank
- Basic first aid kit
- Travel adapter and phone charger
- Valid ID proof and travel documents
Vadodara is a city that must be on every traveler’s bucket list. The breathtaking palaces, temples, museums, and gardens are a testament to the city’s rich heritage, culture, and history. The street food and warm hospitality of the locals are an added bonus. Make sure to include the top 20 must-visit attractions on your itinerary to explore the best of Vadodara.
People are also searching for
- Things to do in Vadodara
- Vadodara tourism
- Best time to visit Vadodara
- Vadodara weather
- Places to visit in Vadodara for couples