Located on the southern coast of Gujarat, Diu is a small island which is known for its serene beaches, dazzling architecture and serene streets. The place is a well-known tourist destination that has a rich cultural and historical legacy. Diu has become increasingly popular among tourists due to its perfect combination of nature, heritage, and adventure. In this article, we present to you the top 14 tourist destinations to visit in Diu, India.
Attractions and Hidden Gems
1. Diu Fort – One of the most popular attractions that portrays Portuguese architecture.
2. Naida Caves – Famous rock-cut caves located outside the city limits which serves as an adventure spot.
3. Gangeshwar Temple – Famous for its unique Shivlinga carved on rocks near the beach.
4. Nagoa Beach – Famous for various water sports such as Jet Skiing, Parasailing, etc.
5. Ghoghla Beach – The biggest beach of Diu with clear and warm waters.
6. St. Paul Church – One of the oldest churches of Diu which is still in use.
7. INS Khukri Memorial – Famous for showcasing the history of the Indian Navy.
8. Shell Museum – One of its kind museum consisting of thousands of sea shells.
9. Diu Museum – Famous museum exhibiting the rich heritage of Diu.
10. Diu Jail – A historical jail of Diu which is open for tourists to visit.
11. Jallandhar Shrine – A famous temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and Goddess Durga.
12. Chapel of Our Lady of Rosary – A church which was built in 1593 and has a beautiful architecture.
13. Pani Kotha – A fort and a palace which is now an attraction known for its architecture.
14. Chakratirth Beach – A secluded beach with blue waters and picturesque environment.
Reaching Diu and things to take care of
Diu is easily accessible by air, road and train. The nearest airport is Diu Airport, and the closest railway station is Veraval. Diu is connected to major cities by road via Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway 8. While visiting Diu, it is important to take care of the following things:
– Carry light and comfortable clothes.
– Beware of the rough sea during monsoons.
– Avoid swimming in the deep sea.
– Stay away from the edges of the fort.
Where To Stay and Food Specialities Nearby
Diu has a variety of options for accommodation , ranging from budget guesthouses to luxury resorts. The city has a host of restaurants serving local delicacies and other cuisines. The famous food items you must try are fish curry, bhajiya, sev puri, vegetable sandwich, and more.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Diu is between October and February when the temperature is pleasant and rainfall is minimal. It is a perfect time to explore the beaches and indulge in water sports.
Language and Communication Tips
The official languages of Diu are Gujarati, Hindi, and English. Communication in Diu is not generally a problem as people are friendly and hospitable. However, it is advisable to keep a phrasebook handy.
Cultural Customs and Etiquette Guidance
Diu has a rich cultural legacy, and visitors are expected to respect the local customs and practices. Dress modestly when visiting religious places, covering your head and taking your shoes off before entering. Gestures like pointing fingers or feet towards a person or a deity are frowned upon.
Must-Visit Destinations and Attractions Nearby:
1. Somnath Temple – A famous and ancient temple located on the banks of the Arabian Sea.
2. Gir National Park – A wildlife sanctuary famous for its lions and other fauna.
3. Palitana Temples – A group of Jain temples located atop the Shatrunjaya hills.
4. Dwarka – A holy city with a rich history associated with Lord Krishna.
5. Junagadh – Famous for its greenery and architecture.
Food and Dining Recommendations
Diu is known for its seafood, and visitors must try fish curry, prawns fry, crab masala, and tuna. Apart from this, famous local delicacies include bhajiya, sev puri, and vegetable sandwich.
Safety Precautions and Emergency Measures
While Diu is generally safe, visitors should take precautions like staying away from deserted areas at night, carry a first aid kit, and avoid swimming during high tide or rough seas.
Experiences summary of other traveler based on public review of the places
Visitors have been delighted by the beauty and tranquility it has to offer. People have applauded the infrastructure and friendly nature of the locals. Top-rated places to visit are Diu Fort, Naida Caves, and Ghoghla Beach.
Packing and Travel Essentials
Visitors must be prepared for the trip in advance and carry:
– Comfortable and light clothes.
– Sunscreen and sunglasses.
– First-aid kit.
– Camera or smartphone.
– A phrasebook.
Diu is a stunning town that has a lot to offer. With serene beaches, Great architecture and rich culture, it has something for every type of traveler. With a well-connected transportation network, visitors can quickly reach here and explore the vast variety of places to visit. However, it is advisable to take precautions and be respectful of the local customs and practices.
People are also searching for
– Best beaches in Diu
– Things to do in Diu
– Weather in Diu
– How to reach Diu
– Is Diu a union territory?