Aurangabad, located in the state of Maharashtra, India, is a city rich in history, culture, and architectural marvels. Known for its fascinating ancient monuments and caves, Aurangabad attracts tourists from all over the world. This article explores the top 27 must-visit tourist destinations in Aurangabad for 2023, providing a comprehensive guide for travelers looking to explore this beautiful city.
Highlights and Attractions
Aurangabad holds a prominent place in Indian history and is home to numerous attractions that showcase its rich heritage. Some of the must-visit tourist destinations include:
1. Ajanta Caves – These ancient Buddhist caves dating back to the 2nd century BCE are known for their exquisite rock-cut sculptures and stunning murals.
2. Ellora Caves – Carved out of a single rock, the Ellora Caves are a UNESCO World Heritage Site and showcase a harmonious blend of Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain influences.
3. Bibi Ka Maqbara – Often referred to as the “Taj of the Deccan,” Bibi Ka Maqbara is a mausoleum built in memory of Emperor Aurangzeb’s wife. It bears a striking resemblance to the iconic Taj Mahal.
4. Daulatabad Fort – Known for its impregnable defense systems and intricate architecture, Daulatabad Fort offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
5. Grishneshwar Temple – This ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas in India and is considered highly auspicious for pilgrims.
6. Aurangabad Caves – Dating back to the 2nd century BCE, the Aurangabad Caves are a group of twelve Buddhist caves known for their intricate carvings and sculptures.
7. Panchakki – A remarkable water mill built during the Mughal era, Panchakki houses a tomb and a mosque within its premises.
8. Jama Masjid – Built by Emperor Aurangzeb, Jama Masjid is one of the largest mosques in India, reflecting the grandeur of Mughal architecture.
How to Reach and Things to Consider
Aurangabad can be reached by air, rail, and road. The city has its own airport, Aurangabad Airport, which is well-connected to major cities in India. The nearest railway station is Aurangabad Railway Station, which has regular trains from various parts of the country. For those traveling by road, Aurangabad is well-connected to major cities through national highways.
When visiting Aurangabad, it is advisable to plan the trip in advance and consider the following:
1. Weather Conditions – Aurangabad experiences hot and dry summers, so it is recommended to visit during the cooler months of November to February.
2. Local Transportation – Hiring a local guide or using public transportation is highly recommended to explore the attractions efficiently.
3. Dress Code – When visiting religious sites, it is advisable to dress modestly and follow the local customs.
Where to Stay and Food Specialties
Aurangabad offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets, ranging from luxury hotels to budget guesthouses. Some popular hotels include The Taj Aurangabad, Vivanta Aurangabad, and Lemon Tree Hotel.
When it comes to food, Aurangabad is famous for its traditional Maharashtrian cuisine. Some must-try dishes include:
– Naan Qalia – A delicious Mughlai dish made with tender mutton cooked in rich spices.
– Aurangabadi Biryani – A flavorful rice dish layered with marinated meat and aromatic spices.
– Sheermal – A sweet bread made with saffron, milk, and ghee, often served with kebabs or curries.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Aurangabad is during the winter months of November to February when the weather is pleasant and suitable for exploring the attractions. The temperature during this time ranges from 15°C to 30°C, making it perfect for outdoor activities.
1. Q: What are the major attractions in Aurangabad?
– Ajanta Caves
– Ellora Caves
– Bibi Ka Maqbara
– Daulatabad Fort
– Grishneshwar Temple
2. Q: How can I reach Aurangabad?
– By air: Aurangabad Airport
– By train: Aurangabad Railway Station
– By road: National highways connect Aurangabad to major cities.
3. Q: What are some food specialties of Aurangabad?
– Naan Qalia
– Aurangabadi Biryani
4. Q: When is the best time to visit Aurangabad?
– The best time to visit is from November to February.
5. Q: What are some nearby attractions in Aurangabad?
– Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
– Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga Temple
– Lonar Crater Lake
– Shani Shingnapur