Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand, is known for its vibrant street life, ancient temples, and bustling markets. One of its must-visit attractions is the Siam Serpentarium, a fascinating serpentarium that showcases the diverse snake species found in Thailand. This article explores the secrets of the Siam Serpentarium, highlighting its highlights, attractions, and the reasons why it attracts tourists from all over the world.
Highlights and Attractions
The Siam Serpentarium offers a unique and educational experience for visitors. Here are some of the highlights and attractions that make it a must-visit:
1. Snake Exhibits: The serpentarium houses a diverse collection of snake species, including venomous and non-venomous snakes. Visitors can observe these serpents up close and learn about their habitats, behaviors, and importance in the ecosystem.
2. Snake Handling: For the adventurous souls, there is an opportunity to handle non-venomous snakes under the guidance of experienced handlers. This hands-on experience allows visitors to overcome their fears and gain a deeper understanding of these remarkable creatures.
3. Venom Extraction Show: One of the highlights of the Siam Serpentarium is the venom extraction show. Visitors can witness a skilled handler extracting venom from a venomous snake, showcasing the process and importance of snake venom for scientific research and antivenom production.
4. Interactive Learning: The serpentarium offers interactive exhibits and educational displays where visitors can learn about snake anatomy, venomous snake species identification, snakebite first aid, and conservation efforts to protect these reptiles.
5. Snake Cafe and Gift Shop: After exploring the serpentarium, visitors can relax at the Snake Cafe, which offers refreshments and snacks. The gift shop also offers a wide range of snake-themed souvenirs, including clothing, accessories, and educational books.
How to Reach and Things to Consider
The Siam Serpentarium is located in the heart of Bangkok and can be easily accessed by public transportation or taxis. Here are some things to consider when visiting:
1. Public Transportation: The serpentarium is conveniently located near the BTS Skytrain, making it easily accessible for tourists. Taking the Skytrain is a cost-effective and efficient way to reach the attraction.
2. Opening Hours: The Siam Serpentarium is open from 10 am to 6 pm, Tuesday to Sunday. It is closed on Mondays. Visitors are advised to check the official website for any changes in the opening hours or booking requirements.
3. Health and Safety: As with any animal attraction, it is essential to follow the rules and guidelines provided by the staff. Visitors should avoid touching any snakes without permission and should listen to the instructions given during snake handling sessions for their safety and the well-being of the animals.
Where to Stay and Food Specialties
There are numerous accommodation options near the Siam Serpentarium, ranging from luxury hotels to budget-friendly guesthouses. Some popular choices include:
1. Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok: A luxury hotel located within walking distance of the serpentarium, offering comfortable rooms, excellent amenities, and stunning views of the city.
2. Baan Dinso Hostel: An affordable and cozy guesthouse located in the historic district of Bangkok, offering clean and comfortable rooms and friendly staff.
When it comes to food specialties, visitors can explore the nearby Chatuchak Weekend Market, which offers a wide range of delicious street food options. Some popular dishes to try include:
– Pad Thai: A stir-fried noodle dish with a perfect balance of sweet, sour, and savory flavors.
– Som Tam: A refreshing and spicy green papaya salad.
– Tom Yum Goong: A hot and sour shrimp soup infused with fragrant Thai herbs and spices.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Siam Serpentarium is during the dry season, which typically falls between November and February. During this period, the weather is relatively cooler, making it more comfortable to explore the outdoor exhibits. It is also advisable to visit during weekdays to avoid crowds.
1. How much does it cost to enter the Siam Serpentarium?
– The admission fee for adults is 450 Baht, and for children (under 120 cm), it is 250 Baht. Discounts are available for students and senior citizens.
2. Is it safe to handle snakes at the serpentarium?
– Yes, handling snakes at the serpentarium is safe as the non-venomous snakes are handled under the supervision of experienced handlers.
3. Can I take photographs inside the serpentarium?
– Yes, photography is allowed inside the serpentarium. However, it is advised to check with the staff regarding any restrictions or designated photography areas.
4. Are there any age restrictions for visiting the Siam Serpentarium?
– There are no specific age restrictions for visiting the serpentarium. However, parents are advised to supervise their children at all times and ensure their safety during snake handling sessions.
5. Are there any guided tours available at the Siam Serpentarium?
– Yes, guided tours are available at the serpentarium. Visitors can join a guided tour to learn more about the exhibits and interact with knowledgeable guides.
Overall, the Siam Serpentarium in Bangkok, Thailand, offers a captivating experience for snake enthusiasts and curious travelers. With its diverse snake collection, educational exhibits, and thrilling activities, it is a must-visit attraction that promises an unforgettable adventure into the world of serpents.